Thursday, September 3, 2009

Pole Vaulting to Portugal

Listening to the radio the other day, I heard Dr. Tony Evans use an illustration about high jumpers and pole vaulters (pictures attached).  Olympic high jumpers set records clearing 9 feet, while Olympic pole vaulters set records of over 19 feet.  Why the drastic difference?  The high jumper is doing the best he can with what he has in his own strength; the pole vaulter is also doing the best he can but is leaning on something else to accomplish the otherwise impossible feat!  Dr. Evans drew a parallel to the Christian walk.  What could we accomplish if we would fully lean on the Lord rather than our own strength?  It made me think, too, how often do I get in my own way?  What amazing adventures and blessings does the Lord have in store that are only possible through leaning on His power? 

The image of the pole vaulter impacted me especially as I prepare for Portugal.  My prayer is that the Lord would help me (despite my sometimes cautious, overly analytical tendencies!) to lean on Him in order to accomplish great things for Him.  I want to look back at my life's journey and see an incredible path of miracles that were obviously and only accomplished through the power of God for the glory of God!

One of these, I have observed over the last weeks is in partnership development.  The Lord has used you to bring in 90% of the needed funds in less than 3 months!  (For those recently inquiring, the response card has been attached in addition to the pictures.)  Just as important is your continued prayer support. THANK YOU so much for partnering with me through your prayers and finances!

Prayer request update:

  • Found renters for my condo!!!
  • Fly out Saturday morning (11th) for training at ABWE headquarters in Harrisburg, PA
  • Meet with three of last year’s teachers on Sunday; praying for a profitable time of finding out even more about the school, students, schedules, etc.
  • Travel and transition to Portugal - my leave date has been bumped to the last week of August; classes begin on Sept. 7th
  • That I will "pole vault" through my journey in Portugal! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment